Herd immunity: letting COVID-19 circulate freely “is not an option”, according to WHO

Geneva | The WHO ruled on Monday unthinkable to allow COVID-19 to circulate freely in society so that the population has access, as some have suggested, to collective immunity.

• Read also: All developments in the COVID-19 pandemic

• Read also: 843 new cases in Quebec and 12 additional deaths

“Never in the history of public health has collective immunity been used as a strategy to respond to an epidemic, let alone a pandemic. It is scientifically and ethically problematic, ”declared WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at a press conference.

“It is simply unethical to unleash a dangerous virus, which we do not understand everything about. This is not an option, ”he insisted.

The novel coronavirus pandemic has claimed more than a million lives worldwide since the WHO office in China reported the disease onset in late December.

“The vast majority of people in most countries are susceptible to this virus. Seroprevalence surveys suggest that in most countries, less than 10% of the population has been infected ”, detailed Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

He also explained that the world did not know enough about the immunity enjoyed by people who contracted COVID-19, pointing out that some individuals have been newly infected.

“Most people infected with the virus develop an immune response during the first few weeks, but we don’t know if this response is strong or long-lasting, or if it differs from person to person,” he said. he explains.

He underlined that the concept of collective immunity is used in vaccination campaigns and he recalled that for smallpox it is necessary that 95% of the population be vaccinated so that the remaining 5% are protected.

For polio this rate is 80%.


About Victoria Smith

Victoria Smith who hails from Toronto, Canada currently runs this news portofolio who completed Masters in Political science from University of Toronto. She started her career with BBC then relocated to TorontoStar as senior political reporter. She is caring and hardworking.

Check Also

New restrictions in Germany with cafes and restaurants closed

Germany on Wednesday decided on a new series of restrictions in the face of the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *