While Quebec had another day with more than 1,000 additional cases, the Minister of Health, Christian Dubé, justified his decision to move part of the Outaouais to the red zone.
The city of Gatineau and the MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais will indeed become red zones as of Sunday.
“The trend was on the rise in the Outaouais, we had been watching for several days. Public health made a recommendation to us to move these two MRCs to the red zone, ”said Christian Dubé, in an interview with LCN.
Even if the number of cases remains particularly high, the Minister is satisfied to see that the daily number remains in the same bracket.
“I don’t want to claim victory too quickly, but we’ve been in the same 1000 cases a day for several days. These 1000 cases, if we are able to stabilize it for yet another week, we will already have accomplished something, ”said the Minister.
According to him, however, it is far from won.
“Every gesture counts and that’s why we decided to act in the Outaouais today,” he adds.
The respect of the rules
Quebecers in the red zone should not go to the orange and yellow zones in order to avoid the spread. Mr. Dubé congratulates those who follow the rules.
“Quebecers have made an effort. These are measures that are difficult, we are not happy. Quebeckers are responding very well, ”he observed.
“The vast majority of Quebecers follow health measures. We need to continue to explain, we have made enormous efforts, but we understand that people are tired, ”admitted Christian Dubé.
To those who refuse to follow the recommendations and who persist in not wanting to wear the mask, the minister says he will continue to try to educate them, “even if they are more difficult to convince”.
The sacrifices made by Quebeckers must be aimed at safeguarding the health system and helping workers who are already overwhelmed, he reiterated.
Trump attacks Canada
The President of the United States, Donald Trump, made a speech at the White House in front of a crowd where he said that Canada was in a bad situation, remarks which Minister Dubé decried.
“I think we’re better off in Quebec, if I follow how Mr. Trump has reacted to COVID in recent months. Let him take care of his country and we’ll take care of us, ”retorted the Minister.