Portions: 12 | Preparation: 1 hour 15 minutes | Rest: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 cup of lukewarm soy milk
- 1 C. to s. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup melted vegan margarine
- 1 C. vanilla extract
- 3 cups (600 g) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup of sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. to s. instant yeast
- Vegetable oil, for the fryer
- 2 cups of soy milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. to s. vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 cup of sugar
- 1⁄4 cup + 2 tbsp. to s. cornstarch
- A pinch of turmeric, for color
- 11⁄2 tsp. to s. vegan margarine
- 11⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp. to s. cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. to s. + 2 tsp. of vegetable milk
- Prepare the donut dough. If necessary, heat the milk slightly in a large microwave-safe container. Add the apple cider vinegar and set aside 5 minutes to form buttermilk. Once the milk has thickened, add the margarine and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour in the liquid ingredients and mix well to form a ball. With a mixer or by hand, knead the dough for 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, flour a cookie sheet and set aside.
- When the dough has risen, roll it out to a thickness of 1 cm on a floured work surface. Using an 8 cm (3 in.) Diameter cookie cutter or similar sized glass, shape donuts. Place these on the prepared baking sheet. As you do not want to overwork the dough, you can, with the scraps, by hand form dough discs similar in size to those created with the cookie cutter. Cover with a damp cloth and carry out a second lifting of 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in the fryer to 380 ° F. Remove the basket and the cover. Depending on the size of the deep fryer, cook 1 to 4 donuts at a time, about 2 minutes per side, avoiding touching each other.
- Once cooked, place the donuts on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. While they are cooling, make the pastry cream.
- In a pot, whisk together the soy milk, vanilla, sugar, cornstarch and turmeric. Add the margarine. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat to allow the cream to thicken, stirring regularly so it does not burn. Remove from fire.
- Whip the cream vigorously several times to prevent lumps from forming when it cools.
- Prepare the chocolate icing. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients. Whisk until you obtain a smooth glaze.
- Pour the pastry cream into a pastry bag. Using a skewer, pierce one side of the donut to the center of it. Insert the pastry bag nozzle to the center of the donut and press firmly to fill the donut. Gently remove the pastry bag, continuing to squeeze so that the pastry cream is visible on the surface of the hole. Repeat for all donuts.
- Dip the top of each donut in the chocolate frosting to cover the entire surface. Place the donuts on a baking sheet or wire rack, let the frosting set and serve.