COVID-19: more cases, more hospitalizations in Saguenay

In Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, the constant increase in the number of COVID-19 cases has a direct impact on the increase in the number of hospitalizations.

40 people occupied beds on units dedicated to patients with COVID-19 in Chicoutimi and Alma hospitals on Monday.

Of these, nine were in intensive care.

This is a record number for Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean since the start of the pandemic.

The regional health authorities confirm that they have 55 beds for these patients and as long as the occupancy rate does not exceed 100%, the transfer of patients to other hospitals outside the region is discarded.

The situation particularly worries the president of the Union of healthcare professionals affiliated with the FIQ.

“The number of hospitalizations has a direct link with the number of healthcare professionals who are at risk of becoming infected and of being absent from work for a certain time,” explained Julie Bouchard. Yes, we have the capacity in terms of beds and equipment to meet needs, but we will soon no longer have the capacity to provide customer care if the professionals are not there. ”

Ms. Bouchard admitted that the health authorities are making efforts to recruit reinforcements, but she is aware that it is not easy to find in the current context.

“We know that it is not easy to find, on the other hand, we cross our fingers that a few people answer the call,” she said.

Regional health authorities confirmed on Friday that reinforcements had been requested.

“We have not yet had a follow-up from the employer confirming that we will have additional staff,” Ms. Bouchard said in an interview with VAT News Monday morning.

In late Monday afternoon, reliable sources told VAT News that the hours of healthcare workers working in outbreak areas are about to change.

These workers would be forced to work 12-hour shifts starting next weekend, but this information remains to be validated.

With 187 new cases reported on Monday, the region has passed the 3,000 confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic.

Two additional deaths are also added to the toll, for a total of 79 since March.

www.journaldequebec.com

Check Also

COVID-19: the vaccination campaign in Quebec is based on him

Unlike the flamboyant ex-Chief of Staff Rick Hillier chosen to lead the mission in Ontario, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *