The number of people infected with COVID-19 at risk of being hospitalized is rising sharply in Quebec, but the situation in hospitals should still remain under control for the next four weeks.
• Read also: COVID-19 in Quebec: 1,301 new cases and 30 additional deaths
This was reported on Friday by the National Institute of Excellence in Health and Social Services (INESSS) in its weekly report on projections of the number of hospitalizations.
The number of people who contracted COVID-19 jumped from 6,911 last week to 8,537 this week, first notes INESSS. Of the new cases confirmed in the week of November 2-8, 453 are at high risk of hospitalization, 40% higher than the average for the past four weeks (325).
The magnitude of this increase, however, varies by region, according to the Institute.
Proportionally, this increase is greater in people aged 80 and over (65%) as well as in those who already have several health problems (40%), notes INESSS.
This report appears the day after a statement by Premier François Legault, who said he was surprised by the low number of hospitalizations in the province.
The Minister of Health and Social Services, Christian Dubé, considers the situation more “worrying” this week.
“In fact, due to a notable increase in the number of cases in certain more vulnerable clienteles, we can anticipate that the increase in hospital needs will continue in the coming days,” he said in a press release. by insisting on the importance of respecting the sanitary rules.