Like me, you might be wondering, “Is ironing old-fashioned and who really has the time and the taste to iron?” “
Well equipped, ironing can become zen
Without becoming obsessed with maintaining clothes, you have to admit that the time you spend ironing can give you relaxation and the satisfaction of a job well done.
- Buy the lightest steam iron possible. It will be easier to handle. A heavy iron will not iron better and will increase the task.
- If tap water is known to contain limescale, use demineralized water. This will extend the life of your device.
- Look at the labels sewn to the inside of the clothes. These indications have been verified by the manufacturer and guide you on the temperature to which you must adjust the iron’s thermostat.
- Make sure you have an iron in good condition. After an ironing session, empty the water from the tank, clean the sole of the iron while it is still lukewarm. Store the cooled iron upright in the cabinet.
The ironing board
To optimize the quality of the ironing, it is important that the board is covered with a well padded cover. To increase the heat diffused on the garment, you can put a sheet of aluminum foil under the ironing board cover. The aluminum, reflecting the heat, will eliminate ironing on both sides of the garment.
This clean, wet cloth is very practical and avoids direct contact between the iron and the garment. It is used when there is a danger of the fabric becoming lustrous or felt, especially on black fabric which easily marks in heat and exhibits shimmers.
Iron on the reverse side of the fabric
- Generally, jeans do not require ironing and crisp folds are unnecessary. If ironing is necessary, do it on the wrong side of the jeans.
- A t-shirt with a print or adhesive that could melt and stick to the sole of the iron, as well as lamé, glittery fabrics and metallic fabrics should be ironed inside out with a barely hot iron.
- The hem of a skirt or dress should be gently ironed on the wrong side so as not to crush the fabric and not leave marks on the garment.
- To effectively iron embroidery, lace and velvet, slip a terry towel or very thick cotton fleece under the fabric, ironing inside out so that they retain their relief.
- For delicate fabrics, silk, prints, linen, dark fabrics and wool, it is best to iron inside out, with a damp cloth (damp cloth), so that they are not marked by an iron too hot.
- White clothes are usually ironed right side up. To protect the appearance of colored clothes, they are ironed inside out.
The right technique
Sort the clothes and start with any that ask for a low temperature. An iron that is too hot can shine the fibers of the fabrics and even burn them. Continue with clothes that require a higher temperature. Perform long forehands, not circular motions.
3 problems … 3 solutions
- To remove the shiny appearance of fabrics caused by wear and ironing, soak a cloth in water and vinegar and use it to iron clothes.
- So that the heat of the iron does not damage the pearly, plastic or shiny buttons, cover them with a spoon or a small square of aluminum foil, which will allow you to easily bypass them and iron the fabric around them well. .
- Don’t waste time ironing the curtains. Hang them while they are still wet. The weight of wet curtains will eliminate wrinkling. To avoid damaging the floor, cover the floor with newspaper.
What if we avoided ironing as much as possible?
When putting clothes in the dryer, you don’t have to choose the longest cycle for clothes that need to be ironed. Go for the short cycle; it is easier to iron a slightly damp fabric, especially cotton.
To quickly smooth out the next day’s clothes, hang them in the bathroom for a hot shower. On contact with steam in the closed room, they will naturally smooth out.
At the last minute, you realize that the garment you want to wear is wrinkled. Don’t panic … put it in the dryer with 3 or 4 ice cubes and run the appliance for a few minutes or until the ice is completely melted. How do I know if the smoothing is complete? You will no longer hear the beating of ice on the inside walls of the dryer. Most satisfactory and fast result.