Several private seniors’ residences in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean are currently struggling with outbreaks: public health reports 200 active cases observed in these residences.
• Read also: COVID-19: Legault calls on the Saguenéens to reduce their contacts
The most recent case is that of Villa Goyette in La Baie, which had been spared by COVID, until Friday, November 6. On this day, an employee experiences symptoms during her shift. She passes the test, is declared positive on Sunday. The next day, massive screening identified 16 cases among the 31 residents.
“We have two cases with symptoms, the 14 others are asymptomatic,” explained the owner of the Villa, Philippe Dufour. We have created a red zone, with security guards on each floor. The good news is that we haven’t had any new cases for two days. ”
Since the start of the outbreak, the management of the Villa has been in daily contact with the regional health authorities.
“It’s private, so it requires a more specific approach. The most important thing for us is the collaboration of the residences ”, underlined the regional director of public health, Dr Donald Aubin.
“We update patients’ files, we make sure there are no complications in their state of health,” said Philippe Dufour. It is also necessary to ensure compliance with the instructions, the implementation of new working hours, meals, washing and the quantity of protective equipment, also psychological help for residents. It really is working as a team with the CIUSSS, our staff and the families of the residents. ”
The latest government statement, dated Monday, indicates that Saguenay Lac-Saint-Jean has three private seniors’ residences with more than 50% of residents affected: Villa Goyette, Auberge du Bon temps de Sainte-Monique and Domaine des Aînées d ‘Alma. These are three, among the six that Quebec has in total.
“It’s scary when the virus comes in. It’s not just a wave, it’s a real tidal wave … “said the director of Villa Goyette.